Giving thanks every night before I drift off to sleep has been a staple in my routine for the past year and I do think it helps to keep things in perspective, especially when I start thinking "Poor me".
What I'm Thankful for this Year (not in any particular order)
- I still have a house to keep me and da boyz and kitties safe and warm
- I can afford oil this year
- I might not have the car of my dreams or one that can pull the Paphut, but I have a car that for now is working and can get me back and forth to my jobs.
- I have two jobs where some people have none and I can now put a little away each month and meet my monthly expenses.
- I have a wonderful family who loves me and has supported me through a drastic lifestyle change this past year and a half
- I have wonderful friends in and out of the dog world and all over the world who have also shown incredible support
- I have 5 animals who mean the world to me and who for now are healthy and happy
- I'll be returning to agility classes in December-yipee!!
In Memorandum of Pets Who Left Us This Year
It's also a time to remember those who are no longer with us. I am very blessed that my whole family is still here with the exception of my mom who passed over a decade ago.
My friends however have lost some of their best friends this year:
If you are trying to think of something very different but meaningful for the dog lover in your life, the following is from the November Newsletter of Alpha Dog K9 Training in Franklin, MA and owner, Christina Taddei:
This month I'd like to focus on the holiday season and giving gifts that mean alot more than a new trinket to some. Here are some gift ideas very near and dear to our hearts here at Alpha Dog:
NEADS has a new line of wonderful "signature wines", drop shipped right to you! http://www.benefitwines.com/neads
For other gift ideas, please visit: http://www.neads.org/page.aspx?pid=360
Massachusetts Vest-A Dog
http://www.mavestadog.org/ws/pages/merchandise.php is selling calendars at many Especially for Pets locations, and the cost is only $10.00. The profits from these calendars directly benefit our local police dogs and their partners by funding the bullet and stab proof vests that the dogs need to be able to do their jobs more safely.
Alpha Dog Book Drive
As most of you already know, all of the trainers here at Alpha Dog are involved with the NEADS ( www.neads.org )program, training dogs for service work.
Our dogs live in local prisons with inmate handlers most of the time, and are "furloughed" on weekends for training in the community by volunteer handlers. We are not allowed to give gifts to the inmates who are not compensated and volunteer their time to train our puppies. If you've seen our pups, you know what a great job they do!
This year I would like to collect as many gently used books as I can to donate to the prison libraries and the inmates "training libraries". Books on any subject are appreciated. They can be dropped at Happy Tails during Alpha Dog hours:
Wednesday, Thursday, Friday 7:30-8:30pm or Saturday from 9 to noon.
Thanks for considering a different kind of gift this year!
Our best to you,
Christina and Draco and Hope